Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Twitter a Soap Opera?

It is not where 'social media' is but where it is going. Twitter is fun but who can do that continually other than bored housewives or kids? It appears to have taken the place of the soap opera and days at the park. God Bless employers these days. The influx of this social drama into the workplace must be a huge drain on resources.

Tonight on Jay Leno I heard a longer haired Ben Stiller talking about Twitter. He said something like "yeah, people write things they wouldn't necessarily ever say to someone...the mundane." That is so true. People tell you what they are cooking, eating, when they can't sleep and when they are going to sleep.

It reminds me of when I was in Spain many years ago and I received a package from my father. In it was a cassette recording he had made for me. At the time, the cassette recorder was brand new. (We thought eight tracks were great.) To be able to actually record yourself talking on something "so small and contained" was fascinating. His recording was actually about ten minutes of dead air where every once in awhile he would say something as he drove on his way home. It was his new toy just like Twitter is ours.

Don't get me wrong. I like Twitter and feel that it's ultimate use is just around the corner. Perhaps their will be more designated levels so that if you don't want to know that somebody's baby just screamed or pooped, you won't have to.