Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Is Twitter Relevant?

Looking back and I found this post draft...  Twitter has become a political views platform (2016-2018). There are many "bots" or people who are paid to tweet ugly and they do. It will be most interesting to see how social media evolves over the next decade.

"I do not think of myself as being ahead of the curve when it comes to technology any longer. I probably should however, as I scour the internet I find many technology niche experts. It makes me realize how vast this industry has become and how little I know.

Years ago I had a young engineering college student work for me, Chad Waldrop. I thought he was outstanding, brilliant. His interest at the time was the micro end of computing and he went to work for Texas Instruments.

Applications abound. Twitter is texting. With it you decide who you will follow and they, in turn, get to decide if they want to follow you. You can pop in to check it anytime you wish and, unlike email, you don't have to delete all of the posts you don't want to read. You can just read the current ones or ones from someone you want to know about. It reminds me of abbreviated email or blogs. You can always link them to your site for further discussion.

But what if you want to promote a service to those out and about your area? Twitter will not be your resource for this.

Today, Google announced Google Wave, their vision of the future of email. I appreciate things being done in "real time" but mistakes are easily made doing things on the fly. Today's ability for things (video or text) to go viral has become a mainstay. You have to know where to check facts (not Wikipedia please) and do your due diligence. Like with following too many people on Twitter, the Google Wave looks like a cluster. Google has many creative people and by the time I ever use it or something like it I am sure the "on/off" switches will all be in place."