Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Voyeur unexpected

We are true suburbinites.
Tonight while trying to locate something on the web, I ran across a teenage girls' blog. What was fascinating to me was her comparison of her family to that of Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne, except her family is Filapino. Ozzy Osbourne is a wiped out shell of a man. My daughter thinks it is hysterical to watch him, not realizing that drugs made him act like that. He shuffles and babbles like a 95 year old man.

But this is real life - hers. I have great difficulty identifying with her because it is hard to realize that her parents are really like that. Here this bright young girl sits, thinking about piercing something because a friend had... When I look across America, I understand the haves and the have nots... I can distinguish between those in Iowa, New York, Alabama and California. But... they are generalities. It's like looking into someone's window and really seeing what is going on. Tonight, I got a glimpse of a girl and it made me think about our family. To her, we would be Ozzie & Harriet.